Friday, May 3, 2013

Driver's Permit Complications

So we have had quite the saga in trying to get my daughter a driver's permit.  First, I couldn't find her social security card.  So after school one day we went to get a replacement and found out they close at 3.  School gets out at 3:10.  So a couple weeks later I pick her up early and go to get a card.  She needs an ID.  Seriously, how is she supposed to have ID?  Apparently a passport card won't work, but a school ID does.  How does that make any sense?  Soooo anyway, we apply for the replacement which will take 2-3 weeks in the mail. 

But here you don't need your social security card to take the written exam just your birth certificate, so we went over to do that and she passed.  However, they did extra scrutinize her birth certificate because it doesn't have a seal, just a stamp on the back.  What can I say it's from Montana.  That was last Friday.  We couldn't get the actual permit but she has the paper stating she passed the exam.

Today, a week later, her social security card came in the mail.  So we went to the licensing office (a different place than the testing office) to get her permit.  My husband takes her in and I went to run an errand.  Pretty soon he calls and tells me he needs a piece of mail with an address on it for him or her.  Are you kidding?  I specifically asked that question and was told for minors that wasn't needed.  But oh wait it is needed for us because we didn't live her all of last year and, therefore, don't have a personal property payment history.  *sigh*

So I point out that she just got her social security card and it has her address on it.  Oh yeah, they just handed that to the woman with the card still attached.  Finally, I get back to the licensing office and she still doesn't have a permit.  We have all the paperwork, but when they put her information into their computer it comes back unverified.  WTF?  How is that possible when we just got the freaking card?

And now we come full circle.  We have to go back to the social security office and "fix" the problem.  Of course they are closed today and are only open until 3 on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. See I was expecting exactly this rigamaroo when I took StinkButt in for his last year. We can't find his SS card anywhere. Somehow I breezed into the SS office, slapped his school ID over and they gave us a temporary card which was accepted by the license office.

    Clearly you are a bureaucracy magnet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like last time I went to renew my license. Didn't have the proper kind of birth certificate. But I could use my old license to get the certificate I needed for my new license. Seriously?

    ReplyDelete