Monday, February 10, 2014

Meshing Digital and Traditional Scrapbooks



In 2008 we took a family vacation to Florida.  When we got home I started a scrapbook.  The traditional 12x12 album with paper and stickers and pictures that I had printed.  As happens to many of us, I got derailed and didn't finish the album.  Fast forward to today I have discovered digital scrapbooking. 

So how do I finish this Florida album?  I have all of the pictures digital (I even backed them up on CD at the time).  I had about 20 pages done.  That's no small amount to redo or small expense in a new book.  Twelve x twelve pages are too large to scan on most home scanners.  I decided the solution was to create new pages and have them printed out.  But where to get 12x12 prints?

I bet you know what I did next!  That's right.  I visited my friend Google and came up with a few places.  Then, I found this great blog about how to have your digital pages printed, Scrapping with Liz, Printing Digital Scrapbook Pages.  She suggested Persnickety Prints for individual pages.  I tried them out and LOVED (how do I put a little heart in for the O?) the quality of the prints. Plus they were only $1.99 per page.  In her blog, Liz mentioned printing with a white border around your pages.  I tried that too, but I don't think it mattered if I was adding it to an existing album.


So in just a few days I went from a partially done album to a complete printed album and something strange happened.  I loved looking at the pages online too.  Then I started wondering how I would get my already done pictures onto the computer.  Well, that was easy too.  Once again my friend Google lead me to a blog that said, "Take a picture of your pages."  Palm of hand to face!  Doh!



This was a little trickier than I expected , but I set up a "photo studio" with lighting and angled everything just right so there would be no glare.  For the most part it turned out pretty great.  And now I have an amazing vacation album both digital and printed.  Here is a slide show I made of a few of the pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment