Friday, July 26, 2013

Dumped Dogs

 

 

 

 

Yesterday 3 little dogs were dumped on my neighbor’s property.  I saw them on the highway.  I stood in the middle of the highway blocking traffic both ways to try and keep them safe.  But they were too scared and they wouldn't come to me or anyone else who tried.  Thank you to all the good people who tried!   Eventually they ran into a drainage ditch and there was nothing I could do for the time being.

When I came back a couple hours later it was getting dark but there were two of them on the gravel road to my house.  They still wouldn't come near me.  We got out the canned food and tried to lure them and I left Briann to make friends while I grabbed a kennel and looked for the other one.  I couldn't find her anywhere.

Try as we might we couldn't lure the two dogs into a kennel and we couldn't get close enough to touch them.  After two hours we gave up and decided to try again in the morning.  But the dogs ran under my car!  So we were trying to get them out from under my car and one of them let Briann grab it.  We then used that one to lure the other one close enough and we had them both.  But there was still no sign of the third little dog.  It was 10:30 at night and I decided to look for her again in the morning.

The third dog was arthritic and couldn't walk well.  She couldn't move out of the way of cars or coyotes or buzzards.  There is no way she could survive on her own.  Sadly, I found her this morning.  She was hit and killed by a car.  RIP little girl.  Your pain and fear are over.

The remaining two little dogs are now in a kennel in my basement waiting to go to their foster home where a loving family will be found for them.  A poodle and a shih tzu, they are probably both mixes.  And while still a little nervous they are friendly and ready for a good scratchin' and a belly rub.  It’s obvious to look at them they were breeder dogs.  But it’s also obvious someone trimmed their coats and spent time petting them.

I don’t understand how you can care for and love a dog and then turn them out to fend for themselves.  I understand times can be hard.  Maybe you don’t know what to do.  But dumping on the side of the road to meet their own fate is not the answer.  They are small desirable dogs.  A free add in the paper or online would have found them a new home.  Those little guys gave you their hearts and souls and in return you left them to dodge cars, tremble in fear of coyotes, and run from any kind hands who would care for them.  Shame on you! 

People Suck!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment